Thursday, March 16, 2006

One of my favorite place in the city

Hi everyone.

These are taken in one of my favorite places in Quezon City. I still can't believe my luck to be living so near a place where there are incredibly beautiful trees and a manmade lagoon. Nevermind the poluted waters, its still beautiful.

I go there for my quiet time. Its peaceful and serene.

I'll post more after I've cleaned up the pictures. Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy these. I wish I could send some of these niblets your way.


This is one of the oldest trees in the University of the Philippines' Lagoon. There's a small wooden bench within the trunk of the tree which I love to sit in when the ants haven't beaten me to it. LOL!



This is one of the walkways to the other side of the lagoon. Its a pity the lotus flowers weren't open when I went there to take these photographs. I'll visit in the morning next time so I can take photos of the lotus flowers.


This is one of the many street food carts around the campus. Deep fried niblets are one of the favorite food of the Filipinos. Deep fried food is prefered as it is believed that boiling oil may best ensure the cleanliness of the food because bacteria will not survive the high heat of the frying process. That's my friend Jina watching and waiting while her kabob niblets are frying.


That's a kabob of fishballs dripping on the make shift rack attached to the rim of the wok. Boiling in oil at the moment are cheese sticks. Cheese strips wrapped in spring roll wrapper (like philo pastry).


This is a selection of what Manang (Old woman) is selling. The white balls are squid balls, the balls with pepper flecks on them are chicken balls, the brown strips are called quikiam (gluten mixed with pork, onions and spices), the orange yellow balls are quail eggs coated in a tasty batter, the white sticks are cheese sticks wrapped in spring roll wrapper, the thinner round things are fish balls (they puff up when fried and then returns to their pancake like appearance after cooking) and then there's the foot long hotdogs.

There are 3 kinds of dip available: Sweet and spicy (sweet, sour and added with chilly pepper), there's sweet sauce, and then there's the palm vinegar with bits of fresh chilies (resembling chipotelle) and raw spanish onions. People usually dip the kabobs in the vinegar dip first and then in the sweet and/ or the sweet and spiciy dip. The dips use to be in deep bottles for dipping the kabobs in. Now, however, for purposes of sanitation dips now comes in squirt bottles and are poured on the kabobs instead.

These street foods are one of the few things I miss when I turned vegan 13 years ago. Sigh!

3 Comments:

At 2:19 AM, Blogger Viridiana said...

my mouth is watering already - I love this sort of food

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

this was wonderful - how serene that tree looks, and how delicious the food. Now I understand why my daughter-in-law and son-in-law get homesick, even those Regie was born in Australia and Manny left when he was little boy - its just beautiful.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger wrr said...

Thanks everyone.

Wouldn't it be nice to have picnic there with all the SFC foodies?

Dek I go there this weekend for some sketching. You and the troupe can drop by if your feeling up to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home